God is Good (Genesis 50) Lesson – What is God Like?
Written by Bethany Darwin Last updated March 27, 2019
LESSON: GOD IS GOOD
- Key Verse: ‘Why do you call me good?’ Jesus answered. ‘No one is good except God alone.” Mark 10:18
- Teaching Passage: Joseph- Genesis 50
- Supporting Texts: Psalm 73:1, Mark 10:18, Psalm 25:8, Psalm 34:8, Psalm 118
REVIEW PREVIOUS LESSONS:
The attributes of God
- God is Almighty= He has absolute power or is all powerful
- God is the Alpha and Omega= He is the beginning and the end, the first and the last
- God is Awesome = He inspires awe and amazement
- God is Compassionate = He shows a deep concern for His people & a desire to meet their needs
- God is the Deliverer = He is the rescuer or savior
- God is Exalted = He is noble, elevated and lifted up
God is Faithful = He is reliable, trustworthy, true to His Word & keeps His promises
- God Forgives = He grants pardon and cancels the debt of sin
God is Glorious = He is full of glory (praise, honor & distinction)
TEACH- GOD IS GOOD:
This week’s attribute is probably one of the easiest truths about God that we’re going to learn this year and that is the truth that God is good. What are characteristics of someone who is good? Are they kind? Are they forgiving? Do they obey the rules? Do they do what is right?
Read this week’s memory verse (Mark 10:18) 18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God.
When Jesus said these words He was acknowledging that He and the Father were one…that because He is good….He is God.
We are going to overview the story of Joseph from (Genesis 37-50) briefly using the following outline – walking through various scenes from the life of Joseph and indicating that no matter what was happening in his life that it was good because it was permitted by God for a purpose.
- Joseph was the favorite son of Jacob
- Joseph had dreams that his brothers and parents were bowing down to him.
- Joseph’s brothers got angry and jealous that Jacob was giving Joseph all the attention, so they plotted to kill him, but instead they threw him in a pit, sold him to slave traders and then lied to their father and said that he must have been killed by wild animals.
- Joseph worked for a guy named Potiphar. Potiphar’s wife felt hurt because Joseph didn’t like her the way she liked him, so she lied about him to her husband and he got thrown into jail.
- In jail, he told some fellow jail-mates the meanings of the dreams they had and their dreams came true. So, one day when the Pharaoh had a dream, Joseph was called to interpret the dream. Joseph told the Pharaoh that there would be 7 years of plenty in Egypt followed by 7 years of famine.
- Pharaoh made Joseph 2nd in command in Egypt and he organized the food so everyone didn’t starve.
- Eventually Joseph’s brothers came to buy food and they didn’t recognize them. Joseph sold them food and asked about his father and finally told them who he was and that he forgave them.
- Joseph’s family all moved to Egypt.
Then, read Genesis 50:15-21
Joseph Reassures His Brothers
15 When Joseph’s brothers saw that their father was dead, they said, “Perhaps Joseph will hate us, and may [a]actually repay us for all the evil which we did to him.” 16 So they sent messengers to Joseph, saying, “Before your father died he commanded, saying, 17 ‘Thus you shall say to Joseph: “I beg you, please forgive the trespass of your brothers and their sin; for they did evil to you.” ’ Now, please, forgive the trespass of the servants of the God of your father.” And Joseph wept when they spoke to him.
18 Then his brothers also went and fell down before his face, and they said, “Behold, we are your servants.”
19 Joseph said to them, “Do not be afraid, for am I in the place of God? 20 But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive. 21 Now therefore, do not be afraid; I will provide for you and your little ones.” And he comforted them and spoke [b]kindly to them.
GOOD = MORALLY EXCELLENT, VIRTUOUS, RIGHTEOUS
MEMORY VERSE: “This week’s memory verse is Mark 10:18. In this verse we have Jesus saying that only God is good. Jesus’ definition of good is that God is Holy and perfect and without sin. In comparison to God’s goodness, we are not good because we are sinners… and that is what makes us not good.“
Read Romans 3:10-12 . New King James Version (NKJV)
10 As it is written:“There is none righteous, no, not one;
11 There is none who understands;
There is none who seeks after God.
12 They have all turned aside;
They have together become unprofitable;
There is none who does good, no, not one.”
We like to think that we are good because we keep some of God’s laws (most of us aren’t murderers for example), but that the Bible is clear in teaching us that there is no one who is good. That’s true because on our own, none of us are good. The amazing news is that we can be made good. We can be made righteous so that we can stand in front of a Holy God. God gave His only Son. Jesus came to earth and lived a perfect and sinless life and then died the death we deserve. Jesus was good in our place and He paid the price for our sin. Jesus took our sin on Himself when He died on the cross.
When we repent of our sin and trust in Jesus for salvation, Jesus gives us His righteousness/ His goodness, so that now, when God the Father looks at us He sees the goodness of Jesus in the place of our sin. What an amazing truth!
We pray that we all come to know God more and more each week through study of His Word and that we would remember that all of us are sinners and we all need to accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior so that we may have eternal life and live today in victory overcoming the enemy in every area of our lives.